Friday, May 16, 2014

AP Physics Project Proposal

That's right AP Literature, the AP Physics students are hacking our blogs and integrating these two classes together! Here is my spring project proposal for electricity and magnetism!
I shall be making...
AN ELECTRIC MOTORED CAR!
*I'm still a little undecided on what exactly I will make my car out of and the design, but I have a solid idea on how I will build my motor (which is the most important part anyway)
Materials:

  • 9 volt battery
  • Magnets
  • Wire
  • toilet paper roll
  • metal coat hanger
  • BBQ skewers
  • wood / plastic tupperware
  • wheels (I don't know what I will use to make these or what type I'd buy)
  • rubberbands
  • cardboard
How it works:
The car I will be making is electrically powered. The motor will be constructed with a 9 volt battery, wire, and magnets connected to the metal coat hanger (cut into one straight ling). The wire will be coiled and the magnets will be suspended above the coil of wire. When the wire is hooked up to the 9 volt battery, current flows through the wire and causes the magnet to spin. It spins because one side of the magnet is repelling away from the coil of wire. By connecting the spinning coat hanger to a pulley that is connected to the wheel, this will cause the wheels to turn and make the car move. 


2 comments: